Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my Dachshund swallowed a 4"-5" cooked rib bone

I think my Dachshund...

I think my Dachshund swallowed a 4"-5" cooked rib bone whole. She weighs 16 pounds. I wouldn't have thought it possible for her to swallow it. But she was back for more in less than a minute. I thought it strange and looked for the bone. Nowhere to be found. What to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Nugget probably close to 8-10 years old. She's a rescue so we arent exactly sure.

3/12/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Nugget may have eaten this bone whole. How long ago did it happen?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
15 minutes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She SEEMS fine

You can try to induce vomiting to see if you can get her to bring it back up, if this just happened. Or, you can just monitor her to see if she develops problems or passes it, or take her for an Xray to see if it is in her.

You would put 1 teaspoon 3% hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream and get her to drink it, if you want to try to induce vomiting.

A bone that size may pass, but could cause a blockage.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should I try to induce vomiting? The bone seems impossibly long for her to have swallowed. Or, should we take the*****for emergency care?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Might the bone damage her esophagus coming back up?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm 100% sure she didnt chew it up.

If it went down her esophagus, it should be OK to come back up the same way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
lol, makes sense. TY Dr.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We'll try that. How long will she vomit with that preparation?

She should vomit 10 minutes or so after giving peroxide. It has to be fresh and in date to work. 3% only.

A mentor of mine always said if it went down, it should be able to come back up (provided it is still in the stomach).

the other options are going to emergency for an Xray to see if it is in the stomach, or monitoring her at home for loss of appetite and vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thanks again. Have a good evening.

Let me know how she is doing. You are welcome.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jeez. Hang on one sec doc

I am here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My wife just got off the phone with a vet. They are saying do not make her vomit because of the breed and the size if the bone.

Then go with what your veterinarian says.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We will have to decide. I'm sure you have given your best advice, Thanks again.

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing.

Doing some searching on Veterinary Information Network; the consensus seems to be there is a good chance the bone won't cause a blockage. Hope that is what happens! Thanks for the great rating.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian