Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 year old male Goldendoodle that continues to have…

I have a 4...

I have a 4 year old male Goldendoodle that continues to have an issue with swallowing. He seems to cycle his own siliva. He is otherwise fine and just peeded and pooped normally. He is also breathing fine. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Harry. He’s 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harry?

No, he seems very healthy otherwise. He and his sibling do like to chew on things in the back yard

3/12/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

How long has this been happening?

Is he drooling/dribbling or just swallowing a lot?

Is he eating and drinking ok?

36 hours, not much drooling, just swallowing. He seems to not want any water and we have held off with his evening food ) blue buffalo lamb). He did eat a good breakfast

Any vomiting?

Coughing?

Can you feel around his throat - does that bother him?

No vomit or cough but he started snorting and got uncomfortable when I lightly massaged his throat. He is doing a lot a gurgling now

Ok. I would be concerned about somthing stuck around the soft palate/pharnyx area. This might be something like a grass seed or blade of grass or piece of stick.

There is a risk of this becoming infected and continue to irritate.

I would try feeding him something like pieces of bread (with peanut butter to make it tasty) to see if that will help to dislodge the thing.

If this doesn't work then you need to make a visit to your vet.

How many hours until your vet is open? ( I am in a different timezone)

Thanks for your help. He really liked the bread and has settled down. We will take him to our vet in the morning

You're welcome.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Veterinarian101