Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm having an issue with a year old rescue terrier. He and…

I'm having an issue...

I'm having an issue with a year old rescue terrier. He poops and pees in the house on an inconsistent basis. He pees sometimes on my other dog's bed. Why would he do that? They have a dog door to access outside and sometimes will reject going outside and then pee in the house.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name?

Monty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Monty?

He doesn't seem to respond to housebreaking training like any other dog I've had.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long have you had the rescue?

Does he sometimes use the dog door?

How many other dogs do you have?

is the other dog a male too?

What have you tried to facilitate house training?

We've had him for about 3 months.
Yes, he uses the dog door and knows where it is and sometimes goes outside to take care of business
We have one other dog who also a male, about 3 years old
To facilitate house training, initially, we went outside about every 2-3 hours and when he did it, he was praised.
If he did something in the house, he was told "no no" (not yelling, just a firm no!) and then taken promptly outside.
We go on regular walks, but he doesn't seem to want to do it then.
Initially, he was getting it with occasional accidents, nothing different from other dogs I've trained.
But after all this time, he still poops in the house and pees in my other dog's bed.

Thanks for the additional information. I'm typing up your reply now.

The urinating on the other dog's bed is something dogs do to show dominance or to claim something. I'm inclined to believe that he is trying to claim the other dog's bed as his or showing the other dog that he is the more dominant dog of the house. This is called marking behavior. Typically the easiest way to correct this behavior is to clean any areas he has eliminated at or on with a good enzymatic cleanser. For betting it has to soak in to be effective. It breaks down the protein in the elimination to remove the odor. Other cleaners do not remove the odor well enough and the dog sniffs and finds his scent fading and it actually encourages him to re-mark the area. So a thorough cleaning with an enzymatic cleaner is the first step. It also helps with house training.

Training then to stop marking needs to be done. You can leash him to you and each time he goes to lift his leg near the bed, give a short tug and firm low toned "NO". After a few reprimands he should look at you when near the area and not lift his leg. When that happens, you need to reward him with calm praise and a paper thin hot dog slice as a treat. This will encourage him NOT to mark or eliminate in the house.

You will do this anytime he is not contained. Now the quickest easiest way to house train a dog is crate training.

I recommend crate training. Below you will find the way I crate train dogs, which has worked consistently for 15 years. If you have other dogs you will need to separate them when taking them out to go to the bathroom, as they will want to play rather than potty. I would also always take your dog outside on a leash. An unleashed dog can run into the street and get hit by a car, or get into a fight with another dog and be seriously injured. Do this even if you have a fenced yard. No playing with your dog during potty time either.

During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep.

When you feed or give your dog water, take the dog immediately outside to go to the bathroom. Also take the dog out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times and when they wake up after a nap. Take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow her some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again. Usually only about 30 minutes or so for an adult dog. If he hasn't stopped marking, you would leash him to you during this time.

If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely and give a treat when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first.

Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash.

The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly to pick them up and take them out if you see the classic sign of impending bowel movement or urination. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Remember to clean any area inside they have gone with a good enzymatic pet deodorizing cleaner. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out. Some dogs do not want to go out by themselves and use a dog door haphazardly so the tried and true methods are best.

I'd also obedience train him so he sees you as the ultimate boss and as the boss, YOU own the home and everything in it so he will be less likely to eliminate on something that belongs to you.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

jadedangel57

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57