Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was rushing this evening and gave the wrong dog 20 units…

I was rushing this...

I was rushing this evening and gave the wrong dog 20 units of insulin. I immediately stopped and gave him about a cup of karo syrup. He's about 60 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Teddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?

Nope, he's on steroids for ployarthitis

I tested his glucose just after I gave him the shot, it is 94.
3/12/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you accidentally gave Teddy 20 units of insulin. I am sorry to hear about what happened. About how long ago did that happen?

About an hour.

This should be closely monitored as it can cause a low blood sugar. A blood sugar reading of 94 is OK and safe to monitor, but if it dips below 80 then that requires treatment at an emergency clinic. The only thing to do is keep giving an oral sugar supplement like Karo syrup. Most of the insulin types given for diabetic management last for 8-12 hours, so you will want to monitor the blood sugar readings every 30 minutes for the first 4 hours and then every hour after that.

about an hour ago

Does that help to answer your question?

if it dips below 80, can I give him more karo syrup? Our other dogs glucose can get down to the 50's and I've just given him more food.

The 80s are still a normal value, so you can still give karo syrup at that level, but if it is trending downwards then you will want to have IV glucose given. The risk is that seizures can occur when the glucose levels reach the 70s and 60s.

I just tested again, his glucose is 106. Is there a time the insulin starts to really take effect? 4-6 hours from the time it was given?

It has maximum effect about 4-6 hours after it is given, meaning the blood sugar level should reach its lowest point by 6 hours and begin to climb back up after that. If you are continuing to give the karo syrup then that should work to keep the level from getting below 80.

Thank you. I’ll keep an eye on him.
You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
His glucose is trending upward. The last reading was 171. I’m checking him every half hour as you recommended.

Fantastic. You can stop giving the karo syrup now if you have not done so already. Just continue to monitor like we discussed. It seems like things are trending back to normal.

It’s been 6 hours and his glucose is 161. I may have overdone it with the karo. Thank you so much for your help. I’m still checking him, but I think we’re out of the woods.
You did a good job. I think you can rest easy now