Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yeah my 5 & a half year old dog ate a used tampon about 10…

Hello! Yeah my 5...

Hello! Yeah my 5 & a half year old dog ate a used tampon about 10 hours ago and regurgitated it this morning and has been acting extremely sluggish after he vomited. He’s had past issues with his digestive tract and would sometimes bleed when using the bathroom. Not sure if I should take him to the vet immediately or to wait until tomorrow- he already has an existing appointment for a dental cleaning where they will be doing blood work

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Thanks so much. He’s been given antibiotics for the bloody feces and they said it was related to his breed but he’s been doing fine.

3/12/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog and his current GI upset after vomiting the used tampon.

What is his name, please?

I want to start by letting you know I'm really glad he threw the tampon up. Tampons are a frequent cause of GI obstruction that leads to the necessity for surgical removal, so I'm glad it's gone.

With that in mind, are you sure this was the only one he ate?

It's also helpful to know what kind of dog he is/how large. Larger dogs have an easier time dealing with things like this.

It's also super serendipitous that you already have an appointment for tomorrow. While it's true they may not end up actually going ahead with the dental (they'll usually only want to do that when he's feeling 100%), at least you know they'll have to see him if he's still having trouble.

If it was just the one tampon and he's gotten rid of it, even with his history of an easily upset digestive tract, it's reasonable to expect him to feel a little down while his upset stomach heals, but then I would expect him to be back to completely normal overnight.

Signs that this is an emergency tonight:

• Continued vomiting
  • Distress/discomfort/inability to rest or play
  • Weakness/collapse

Does this help to address your concerns so far?

I'm still awaiting your reply...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that’s reassuring. He’s a smaller breed-miniature schnauzer and about 22lbs

Okay... at that size it's very UNLIKELY he'd be able to pass a tampon. I'm so glad he threw it up.

How certain are you there was only one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was hand feeding him earlier and he was eating then just recently started eating on his own. He’s used the bathroom about 4 times after committing and they were solid
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Positive there was only one

This is all really reassuring.

I'm a pretty conservative person, but I honestly do not see any reason to treat this as an emergency, at least at the present time.

There's every reason to be hopeful that now that it's out he's going to feel just fine and return to normal.

If he acts okay the rest of the evening, (and if I were his vet), I'd probably even still do the dental tomorrow.

So, to me, it sounds like you're in good shape. :-)

Good signs: eating on his own, no more vomiting, no distress, normal BMs, normal energy level and activity.

I'm so, so glad he threw it up.

/.../

Is there anything else I can help you with at this point? I'm sorry it was such a scare.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much for your help. I’m going to be observing his behavior today until his vet visit

Sounds good. I'll be hopeful things continue to get better.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today. Thank you for using our website.

Just checking in to ask how things are going for your little schnauzer. No more signs of a problem? I hope everything goes well for him today.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey! Things are going really well. He’s back to his regular self. Thanks again for your help :-)

Oh, I'm so glad to hear this! I was worried about you two!

Thank you for letting me know.

If that's it for now, please do take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you last night.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian