Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 12 years old, epileptic, has some type of

Customer Question
HI my dog is...

HI my dog is 12 years old, epileptic, has some type of infection. Blood shows kidney and liver is good but low red blood cells and high white blood cell count and also a high number of something else that is showing inflamation. She is drinking a little ande eats a little but can hardly stand without falling over. Her feet are curling under her on the back end and she is wobbly on the front end. Antibiotics are not helping. The vet is out and the assistant says she hasn't gotten to discuss the results with him. She has labored shallow breathing and the assistant said to bring her down to put her to sleep. Do you have any idea what she may have?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Sadie 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?

She fell a couple weeks ago down the steps and it seems to have just gone down hill since then.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/13/2018
Dog Veterinarian: benedetta7, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Benedetta, and I would like to help with your question about Sadie.

I am sorry she is so sick, and that your question was not answered sooner.

You may noyt need an answer any longer, but i'll sghare my thoughts anyway.

Please understand that I do not have access to her blood results nor a physical exam, so i am very limited in what i can tell you.

From your description, she seems to have a neurologic condition, which is affecting control of her muscles, and that may include respiratory muscles. This may be infectious, but not necessarily. If there is no resposne to antibiotcs, the high white cells count may be due to inflammation.

In these cases, given the age of your dog, and all the symptoms, my educated guess is that she has some type of cancer.

If she only recently became epileptic, then the location of the cencer mught be in the brain. but if she has been epiletic for a long time, then the cancer is likely smewhere else.

When there is labored shallow breathing, usually there is little or nothing left to do for her, and euthanasia may indeed be the kindest option. It si worth, in my opinion, to take a radiograph of the lung, in case there is fluid that can be aspirated, or pneumonia, or some other somehwat treatable ocndition, but even in that case, if Sadie cannot walk anymore, her quality if life is severely impacted.

Please let me know if you have further question! warm wishes for Sadie!

Benedetta Sarnp, DVM

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

benedetta7