Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Shes small 15 years old has had fluid on the lungs for about…

Shes small 15 years...

Shes small 15 years old has had fluid on the lungs for about two years now.. It's not from heart disease but she has a very slightly enlarged heart.. been on lasix for quite awhile and also theotheline for cough. she now has kidney disease and only 25% kidney function. she had a bout of rapid heart beating could have been from the theotheline i was told.. but she going downhill .. always ate great now dr did give her two antibotic liquid to give her.. but now not eating.. not seeming to even know me..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Seems confused and hasn't barked or cought .. just is not herself.. she has lost alot of weight in the last few months. she also has a collasped treakeh

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She was given fluids about 4 weekes ago and was doing great .. I don't know what happened since then

also another vet told me abou year ago that her heart was good only slightly enlarged otherwise in great shape and
he said to stop giving her the lasix .. I stopped but the fluid came back so I had to go back on it..?
3/12/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is the fluid buildup in the lungs or surrounding the lungs in the chest cavity?

If not from congestive heart failure, do they know what is causing the fluid buildup?

Has she had an ultrasound of the chest/heart done?

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
she doesnt walk well.. sleeps alot.. has stopped eating but could that be cuz the two antibotics are making her sick.
I think its fluid in the lungs
Not sure why it came about.. I was thinking from the collasped treakeh
no I have not had an ultrasound done lots of xrays..
friends are saying shes tired and she has been looking for other place in the house to sleep and sometimes I dont think
she know who I am.. Could it just be her time.. I don't want her to continue being in this shape. she was fine a few weeks
ago.. could the end come this suddenly?
he also gave me predsone to hopefully make her appitiate come back..and to help her
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

Thanks for the information. If the fluid buildup is in the lungs, by far the most common cause is from heart failure. You can see it with cancer, pneumonia, electric shock, strangulation or other direct lung injury. While the heart can look decent on x-rays, it doesn't completely rule out heart failure, especially if there is a good response to Lasix because none of those other issues respond well to Lasix. An ultrasound of the chest cavity is the best way to rule out heart failure and even see if there is a mass, which could be in the lungs, in the chest cavity (fluid usually builds up around the lungs) or at the base of the heart (cannot see well with an x-ray). From what you are describing, it sounds like she may be starting to show symptoms of canine cognitive dysfunction (dementia). They often have odd sleeping patterns, decreased appetite, sleep a lot, less interaction with the family, stare at nothing, bark at nothing or lose potty training habits. It does sound like her condition is deteriorating quickly, and sometimes that can happen, especially if there is an underlying cancer elsewhere in the body. But, like in people, the body can deteriorate quickly once the mind has, and vice versa. Unfortunately, I do think that she is coming to her end, and you will need to make a decision soon about putting her to sleep. I have a feeling your vet put her on prednisone for palliative care. We often do that if they are not responding to other medications, they are coming to the end and to make them feel better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I just had the phone conversation. Thank you. I understand everything and I am not going to let her continue her
life like this and will do the best thing for her even if it's hard for me. thanks again

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any other concerns.