Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has has 2 litters of puppues. Sorry, the placentas…

My dog has has...

My dog has has 2 litters of puppues

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Sorry, the placentas are detaching early? What cpuld cause this? Maybe liw progesteron?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't hurt. She has a lot if puppies born dead.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

FREDA., but it appears that ypu didnt read the question.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

No, she had 2 great litter. One with a lot of deaf puppies, and a csection where tje vet confirmed 1 dued due to tbe placenta detaching early.

3/12/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Freda had a litter where one pup died due to placenta detachment. I am sorry to hear about what happened. Can you please tell me how many pups were born healthy in the litter with the one that had the placenta detachment?

P
She had a prior litter with 4 of 6 pups dead. She had 8 live by c section with one dying prior to c section from a detsched placenta.

Thank you for that information. It is true that a detached placenta can occur with a low progesterone, but that would likely affect all the pups and not just a single one. Trauma can cause a detached placenta to one of the pups, insufficient blood flow (i.e. oxygen) can affect one of the pups, and an infection could also do it. If there is a genetic abnormality then that too could affect the ability to have normal pups. I say that because she had deaf puppies in the past, which may have something to do with a genetic issue.

My recommendation is to measure the progesterone levels throughout the pregnancy and search for infection by having monthly blood panels.

Does that help to answer your question?

She had 2 prior litters with no deaths, also having only one dead pup was do to the vet intervention.

It sounds like she is able to have healthy litters, so the one dead pup may have been a one time occurrence. I would still recommend to check the progesterone levels regularly throughout a pregnancy and also to consider having ultrasound evaluations of the pups to make sure the placenta is not detaching.

She had a prior littet with 4 dead pups
She had a prior littet with 4 dead pups and before that 8 if 12 dead which is whyvthe c sectipn.

That is why she should have a complete blood panel to determine if there is an infection, her uterus and blood cultured if there is a sign of infection, and her progesterone levels monitored throughout the pregnancy. A regular ultrasound exam will help to make sure the pregnancy is still viable.

She had a prior littet with 4 dead pups and before that 8 if 12 dead which is whyvthe c sectipn. What shpuld the progesterone levels be?
She had a prior littet with 4 dead pups and before that 8 if 12 dead which is whyvthe c sectipn. What shpuld the progesterone levels be? We did blood work prior

The progesterone level needs to stay above 2 ng/mL. Your veterinarian can show you her level and let you know what to do to stay above the minimum number.

Does that help to answer your question?

Hello? Are we still connected?

it does. Could there be sny othet reason for pkacenta detachment? Sorry phone being difficult

Besides progesterone, infection, and trauma, the best thing to do is to submit the deceased puppy and the placenta to a lab for analysis. A recommendation is Dr. Schlafer at Cornell University. They would look for abnormalities within the placenta itself, which could be explained by a number of different factors including genetics. That would be the main list of differentials.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian