Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my hamster has wet tail. Her hind quarter is wet and…

Customer Question
I think my hamster...

I think my hamster has wet tail

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your hamster?

Her hind quarter is wet and dirty and the skin on her belly looks painful and raw. She is drinking a lot of water but didn't use her wheel last night

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hamster's name and age?

She is a Syrian hamster named Oreo and she is less than 1 year, maybe 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hamster's name?

Oreo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oreo?

She is taking food from us but I am not sure she is eating a lot

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Oreo. I believe that you're correct. The most common problems seen in pet hamsters are enteropathies (disorders of the intestines). Diarrhea may occur in hamsters of any age and is known as “wet-tail”, although this euphemism is frequently used to describe the disease in young hamsters. Proliferative ileitis (inflammation of the segment of the intestine called the ileum) is the most significant intestinal disease of hamsters and results in high mortality. It’s caused by the intracellular bacterium Lawsonia intracellularis. Treatment must be aggressive and involves correcting life-threatening electrolyte imbalance, administering antibiotics, and force-feeding. Several antibiotic treatments are recommended, including tetracycline hydrochloride (400 mg/L of drinking water for 10 days), tetracycline (10 mg/kg orally every 12 hours for 5-7 days), enrofloxacin (10 mg/kg orally or IM every 12 hours for 5-7 days), and trimethoprim-sulfa (30 mg/kg every 12 hours for 5-7 days). Symptomatic treatment with bismuth subsalicylate may be given if diarrhea persists. Oreo will need to be attended to by a pocket-pet vet to have those drugs prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?