Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It looks like our Bernese has lupus...lame in front right…

It looks like our...

It looks like our Bernese has lupus...lame in front right leg, skin lesions, ulcers in mouth & now lameness is moving to his left back leg...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes on his right foot pad & right above his elbow & right back pad...

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the Bernese's name and age?

Marzen five years old, weighed 130 last week & 120 now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Bernese?

Had elbow surgery on both legs when he was a pup & did very well. No other health issues until now. Drinks very little & eating very little. Surgery was done at WSU Vet Teaching College. Bavarian Vet Clinic in Leavenworth WA is seeing him now. Thinking it may be time to put him down & not put him through any more stress & pain....

3/12/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. I am very sorry to hear about Marzen. This is a very bad disease that can be difficult to treat and has a guarded prognosis. If not already started, your vet can start him on high doses of steroids to suppress the immune system. It does open him up to other problems, including infections, but none are as bad as the disease process itself. There are alternate immunosuppressive drugs your vet can use (in conjunction with steroids usually but can be used alone) as well without the side effects of steroids, but they can be more expensive. Eventually, you can still expect that the disease will take over despite treatment. It is difficult to predict that. If you are willing to give him a chance, starting the medications is definitely worth it, but if it is not something you want to put him through, then euthanasia would be the best option. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds like the same info I got from our local vet...hard decision to make. Will text when I have more questions after consulting more with local vet. Thanks for your help...

It is definitely a hard decision to make. It is not a good disease. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

Welcome

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We had to put him down. Thanks for following up....

I am so sorry to hear that. My condolences go to you and your family. Let me know if you need anything else.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian