Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have successfully bred my female Sheltie for 3 litters.

I have successfully bred...

I have successfully bred my female Sheltie for 3 litters. Her last heat cycle in August we skipped to give her a break. She is 4 years old. She came in heat the end of February and all last week they tried to breed. The male was not successful in getting a tie that we could see. The female would not stand still for the duration. Friday night we did not see them tie but there was 2 large spots of blood and semen on the floor. We could not determine where the blood came from. This has not happened the last 3 times she became pregnant. Neither one continued to bleed after this and as far as we could tell they did not successfully tie. They had another blood spot later in the weekend but not has much more like just drops instead of a puddle. It has not be for the lake of trying on either part, she will stand for him and let him mount her, but just won't stand still. it is like he begins to penetrate and then she moves.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the mount?

No all seems to be normal except she just sits down before he can penetrate. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and welcomes him to mount her. After this weekend I think she is coming to the end of the cycle as she is not as friendly with him as she was earlier in the week.

3/12/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

In my experience you're seeing evidence of simple trauma to either her vaginal vault or his penis (or both) because she's not remaining still for him. At this point it's best to separate them although her leaving estrus for diestrus should facilitate further attempts to breed. The female with stand for the male during estrus but not during diestrus. A vet visit isn't needed as long as bleeding doesn't persist once they've been separated. In most cases the tincture of time should suffice to heal them. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian