Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is there some sort of medicine to give to our dog that has…

Is there some sort...

Is there some sort of medicine to give to our dog that has an upset tummy? Like pepto bismol or rice cereal? what can we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She is 10 years old & is a part siberian husky, alaskan malamute, & a Lab. She started last week on Friday eating grass, but she still ate her dry food that night. that was the last time she actually ate anything. I did give her a steak bone on Thursday. we have always given her bones, and it never bothered her, but on Saturday, she threw up her dry food, & she constantly drank water, but she was really sick and non responsive over the week-end, and now she is better, but still won't eat, but is drinking water. she did throw up foamy water, until yesterday afternoon. She did keep drinking water, but she was definitely still sick. This am, she is still weak, but is still not eating, but she is still drinking water. what can i give her to get her well?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if Alaskan will be able to digest that. How old is Alaskan?

10 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alaskan?

We are giving her these pills from our vet who prescribed them since back in January. She has problems with urinary tract infections, & she has been spade many years ago. The 2 sets of pills that are anti-biotics are doxycycline, 100 mg. takes 3 tablets twice a day, & then ciproploxacn, 500mg. once a day. cant give her any milk products with this pill. then for urinary leaking, she takes 1 tablet daily of PPA Chewable, 75 mg. & then the last one is Carprofen chewable 100--60 tablets for 1 tablet twice a day for pain and inflammation. Sugar Bear has two different kinds of infections, & we have not given her any ot these pills since Friday night. I just want to get her well hopefully here at home as both of us are elderly, and are retired, so therefore, we cant even get her in the truck to take her to the vet. She is really in sad shape. We have already spent an awful lot of money on her in the last 2 & 1/2 months. If yall dont have an answer, than we will definitely have to take her back into our vet. We have spent close to $1200.00! please try to give us an answer.

3/12/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK.

I am so sorry to hear that your girl is weak, not eating, and has vomited several times since Saturday.

Any of the medications that she is taking, Ciprofloxacin, Doxycycline, PPA and Carprofen, are tough on her gastrointestinal tract and can cause nausea and vomiting. Carprofen can also be tough on her liver and kidneys and can cause damage to both.

If her urinary tract infection is worsening that too can cause nausea.

Even though bones were not an issue in the past as dogs age they tend to have more trouble digesting things and that means that bones may not be good for her now.

So in short there are a lot of things that may be contributing to her nausea, and given her age and the length of time she's been sick the best course may be to have her examined and some blood tests checked. But I realize this will be tough physically and financially.

So give me a moment to type up some recommendations for things to try.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. just let me know an answer. If not, than I will cancel.

I would start with an acid reducing medication to try and reduce the effects of irritating stomach acid. You can give either:

1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers which will decrease irritation of the stomach and could help her feel better. They should be given for at least a week to protect the stomach and esophageal lining.

Then I recommend a bland, soft diet of 1/3 boiled, skinless, white meat chicken minced or boiled, very lean, ground beef mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice or pasta. This is an easily digested bland diet and won't irritate her stomach and intestines. Add lots of water to make it soft and soupy for the next 7-10 days to get more fluids in. Then gradually you can add less water. I would keep her on a bland diet for the next 3-4 days. If she doesn't vomit any more you can start slowly reintroducing her normal diet. It should take about a week to convert her back, mixing a little more regular and less bland in each meal.

You can also give her probiotics to replace good bacteria in her gut. Fortiflora, Proviable and Benebac are very good. Your veterinarian or many larger pet stores carry them.

If even with the acid reducing medication, and bland soft diet she still is vomiting and/or refusing to eat she should be seen by a veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I do not want to talk on the phone!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much for your advice. appreciate it very much.
janice tooke

You are very welcome, my best to your pup. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian