Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a little over 3yrs old, a Carlin Pincher. We feed…

My dog is a little...
My dog is a little over 3yrs old, a Carlin Pincher. We feed her a 1/4 cup in morning and 1/4 cup in evening. She weighs 15lbs.
When we used to feed her a cup she seem to really poop a lot, it seems to be normal now but she is always hungry and tries to get into food.
Hasn’t lost any weight, stays about the same. Gained a LB last visit. Are we feeding her enough?
3/12/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog is acting very hungry, but is maintaining her weight on the current diet and actually gained a pound recently. Your question is if you are feeding enough food based on her behavior of wanting to eat more. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Just to be clear, you are not observing any loose stool or vomiting lately. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are we feeding her enough. She’s been on this diet for a 1-2 years. No loose stool and no vomiting.

Based on this body weight, should be eating approximately 500 kcal per day, which usually means about 3/4-1 cup in a day. At first look it sounds like the food you are offering is not enough, but she is gaining weight so that would indicate she is consuming more calories than what she is using. Therefore, she does not need to be fed more food even though she is asking for it if she is able to maintain her current weight. If she is getting other food such as human food or treats then that would make up the difference. I would not recommend to feed more, especially if she is gaining weight currently for the risk of becoming overweight.

You could break feed the same amount of food more frequently throughout the day to help meet her needs so she does not have to wait so long between meals.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. we may try this. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She’s not given human food but she will try to clean the floor wherever she goes
You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian