Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a coyote skull., Boxer, 3 years old, 3 years old,

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a coyote skull.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Carol , Boxer, 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Carol?

3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Carol?

She has food allergies

3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. How long ago did she eat the skull, and was there any meat on it, or only bone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only bone. About an hour ago

Is she having any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. She seems fine. I fed her after and gave her a small spoon full of pumpkin. Just being cautious

Okay, glad to hear she's not having any signs. Main concerns are the bones causing a GI obstruction, the main sign of which is profuse vomiting and abdominal pain. If she vomits once or twice it's okay, but if she cannot keep down any food or water, I would get her to the vet for an abdominal x-ray. The pumpkin was a good idea to coat the bones as they make their way through her stomach and intestines.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will it hurt if feed her a a cup of pumpkin or is that overkill?

No, it will not hurt her. It is probably a good idea if she is willing to eat it.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Good luck with her. And, if I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!

I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions or concerns.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian