Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was sick last nite and. Now sbe nhst lays there.. Shes a…

She was sick last...

She was sick last nite and. Now sbe nhst lays there.. Shes a very active puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?

Chaos

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chaos?

She has flees. That i was going to treat

Also she is a chaweenie
3/12/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How old is she?

About how much does she weigh?

Has she had any vaccines?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

What color are her gums?

If you press into her abdomen from both sides at the same time, is she painful or uncomfortable?

Shes about. 5 -7 months
Weight 5.lbs
No vaccines yet
Yes vomiting mostly and that seems to be gone
Her gums are reddish
Doesnt seem to be any discomfort or pain

Thanks. Are her gums normally red, or are they usually more pink? Any diarrhea?

Thats what they usually look like.
She had a little diarrhea lasr nite. But she hasnt. Eaten or had water either since last nite

Thanks for the information. There can be a few things I would be concerned about at this point. Being that she hasn't had any vaccines yet, parvo would be my primary concern and worse case scenario. It is also possible that she ate something she wasn't used to, ingested a toxin (including some plants), has a gastrointestinal foreign body obstruction or has an intestinal parasite. If it is just some gastrointestinal upset from something she ate, withholding food for 12 hours, giving small amounts of water at a time and Pepto Bismol (as long as there is no blood in the vomit or stool - 1/4 teaspoon every 4-6 hours) may help. Pepcid is usually safe at 2.5 mg twice daily. Given that she seems very lethargic and hasn't been vaccinated, though, I would highly recommend getting her to the vet today for a physical exam, a fecal exam and a parvo test at the very least. If she does have parvo, the sooner treatment is initiated, the better the prognosis. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Chaos is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

She is doing great after a few days of hps and downs. She had parvo and we took care of her at home under a vets supervison. Thank you so much.

Great!!! You are welcome. Glad she is doing well. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian