Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Australian terrier losing hair and pigment changes. Has a…

Australian terrier losing hair...

Australian terrier losing hair and pigment changes. Has a bad reaction to antibiotics last Sept and had not rebounded from hair loss and now pigment changes. My vet has talked to dermatologists and others but no diagnosis yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Australian Terrier's name and age?

Suzi 4

3/12/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. I'm sorry to hear Suzi is experiencing this.

I assume she has had full lab work that included screening for hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome and sex hormone overproduction issues. If not, then this is a good start. And, has she had a skin biopsy (to achieve a definitive diagnosis- important to send to a dermatopathologist not the regular pathologist such as FL State Veterinary Teaching Hospitals) with one of the biopsies submitted for culture to rule out atypical infection?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She did have a biopsy. Results were inconclusive. Full lab work. Nothing so out of the norm that it allowed my vet to make a decision on how to proceed.

That is terribly frustrating. I would double check with your vet that the biopsy did go to a dermatopathologist (FL is often chosen for this) because makes a huge difference. Other than that, I would consider sending the endocrine panel to the University or Tennessee Veterinary Diagnostics Lab to rule out atypical endocrine disease.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok he suggested taking her to Auburn Univ which is closer to me. Think I’ll do that. Thanks

That is a great hospital and probably a good choice for referral.

Although, the test I mentioned above is a blood test your vet sends out. Not something that you need to take her there to be run.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right-since the blood work wasn’t abnormal, he thinks I should take her to Auburn for further workup.

It is always great to have a dermatologist consultation but be prepared to repeat a biopsy and do some of this special lab testing. If it is not too far to drive, then I would schedule that as soon as possible (there's often a wait time to get in for an appointment).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much

You are welcome. I wish I had an exact diagnosis/answer for you but it sounds like we have to keep searching.
Please keep me posted. I'd love to hear when you find out the answer. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

**Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified