Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am questioning the safety of seresto collars for

I am questioning the...

I am questioning the safety of seresto collars for greyhounds. Shortly after starting to use them one of my hounds began to have seizures and my other hound developed thyroid cancer. Although they were elderly I am hesitant to use the collars. Both my hounds ultimately passed away and I question any link with the collars. Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the Greyhound's name and age?

I have had two greyhounds that recently passed away, one with seizures the other with thyroid cancer. Their symptoms developed about six to eight months after using seresto collars and I am worried that the collars may have had an ill effect as greyhounds are very sensitive to certain medications. Thank you, ***** *****

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Greyhound?

The seizure dog was treated with medications but eventually had a seizure that she did not come out of and she had to be euthanized. The other was treated with chemo and then put on prednizone and soloxine but eventually the cancer spread and I lost her as well. Thank you, ***** *****

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I have not come across any articles in the peer reviewed veterinary literature that links any problems between Seresto collars and site hounds

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the info but for my own peace of mind I will not use the collars for my next grey. Since greys do not have a major problem with fleas I will be looking for a prevention that is more wholistic. Pat

Totally understand

There is no question that we see idiosyncratic reactions to all of the flea and tick products

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going to search for a more wholistic and natural remedy for my next hound. Thank you for you input. As in human medications not all people or dogs react the same to medications or drugs.
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian