Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been Limping after running and jumping for the past…

Customer Question
She has been Limping...

She has been Limping after running and jumping for the past 3 months. I remember the day she started, it was acute. I think it may have been from jumping down from my truck and all the weight going on her forelegs. We got Xrays and CT scans on her shoulder and they still don't have a 100% answer. Vet thinks that it "might' be elbow dysplasia, which I have a hard time believing is the issue. She is a 5 year old Australian Shepard who is healthy and came from a expensive breeder. I don't think genetics with elbow dysplasia is convincing. I would think it would be more along the lines of a torn or stretched ligament. She does not limp regularly, only after rough horse play with other dog or jumping on and off bed etc. It normally subsides about an hour or two after resting the area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, its been about 3 months since the beginning and we have had the vet inspect her a few times. Its difficult to localize the pain. I am thinking elbow or wrist.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Oakley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oakley?

Nope that is about all the info I can give. I do have a video of her limping if that helps.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Tom a veterinarian. Hopefully I will be able to help.

Forelimb lameness is one of the commonest things we see in practice in dogs and there can be many causes.

Addressing things in your question:

You mention she has had a ct of the shoulder - did the vet ct her elbow and lower leg aswell?

I would expect if she had torn a ligament for the lameness to probably not go away ie she would have it all the time and not just after playing with the other dog.

Elbow dysplasia is a common issue we see in dogs and it can sometimes be hard to diagnose even with ct, sometimes the joint needs to have a camera placed into it to asses. Were her parents elbow scored? We see dysplasia sometimes even in dogs where their parents had good scores.

I think diagnostically these options might be available:

Ct of the elbow and lower limb if already done

Potentially scoping of the elbow joint if we have a high degree of suspicion it is that joint.

It might be worth considering a specialist orthopaedic vet looking at her also and this may help locaise the issue more.

If this were a soft tissue/ligament issue it is probably unlikely to be a surgical problem if the issue is intermitant- generally if a ligament has been severed an animal is very lame all the time as the support in the joint would have gone, these cases are more likely to be surgical.

Really good website on elbow dysplasia here:

https://www.fitzpatrickreferrals.co.uk/orthopaedic/canine-elbow-dysplasia/

These are specialists in the UK where I'm based.

There could be other things going on in her but I think statistically elbow is the most likely, I think localisation is the key really as a start as there may be things wrong with her carpus, shoulder and foot.

Hopefully this helps, I think ct and xrays are a fair thing to do initially for chronic lamenesses, sometimes with these dogs though I use specialists if we are not wining.

Forgot to say please get back to me with any other questions/specifics.

(If you feel I've helped at all please rate me 5*)

Thanks

Hi, how's she getting on, did you manage to see your vet again or a specialist?

Thanks, Tom