Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 1.5 year old rottweiler, female the last few days,

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 1.5 year old rottweiler, female the last few days, she has whined when jumping on the couch, and going up stairs. pretty much any time she needs to put more weight than normal on her back legs. to the point where we are lifting her up onto the couch and bed. I know big breeds are known for hip displasia, is there anything else that could be going on with her that would sound like this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Rottweiler?

Now that I think about it, she has been reluctant to jump up for a few weeks, you have to tell her a couple times. But the yelping has just started in the last 4 days or so. If she gets laid on by one of the kids, she will also yelp. Sometimes if we try to get her to roll over on her side (either side) she will do the same if it is a hard surface. Seems to be both legs, not just 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Rottweiler. What is the Rottweiler's name?

Harley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?

I think that is it. She is a pure bred registered Rott. Not hip displasia problems with mom or dad

3/12/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Have you had her hips examined

I am worried about Hip Dyplasia for sure

If not then I would recommend an exam and hip x-rays

Paul

I was trying to wait and see if she just maybe pulled/strained something before I paid for xrays. She was examined a 1 year old when she got shots, but no problems then. Is there any other posibility that may have similar simptoms. She went outside yesterday and jumped up on our other dog, like she always does, and was so hurt that she repededly whined, sat down, and was scared to stand back up. Then went to her gate (fenced in yard) and looked at me because she wanted in there. Which she never does

Can you confirm how long this has been going on for?

I would not expect to see Hip Dysplasia signs in a 6 month old dog so things can change

the whining started just in the last 4 days or so. She is an active dog, excercises regularly. Just didn't think we would see these signs until an older age. The last few weeks, you have to tell her a couple times to jump up in the truck, or on the couch, so it seems like, now that I know she is hurt, that she was uncomfortable for a few weeks, just not yelping

You can give her a few more days to normalize if you want

But I would still think that an exam and x-rays would be a good idea

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian