Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 month old husky shepard lab mix that has redness…

I have a 4...

I have a 4 month old husky shepard lab mix that has redness and irritation on one side of his mouth on his lower lip. what could that be and how do we treat it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

What I wrote above

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

On the lower part of his bot***** *****p it seems to be inflamed, but it doesn't seem to effect him too much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Redness on the bottom part of his lower lip

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

No trouble peeing or pooping but he does have liquidy poops during the day

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 41/2 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loki?

He has pretty itchy skin

3/12/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Are you able to send me a photo of the affected area?

Paul

Thanks

Give me a minute

Paul

That is a lip fold pyoderma

This can easily be treated with oral antibiotics

And after that you should wipe the chin and folds with hydrogen peroxide once or twice daily to keep them clean

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. What is lip fold pyoderma and how did he get it? What type of oral antibiotics and how do I get them - do I have to visit the vet?Thanks,

This is a skin infection

He his a young dog and not grooming himself really well yet

He will grow out of it as he matures

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. is it just dry skin? I have been researching what creams to use, but what do you recommend to treat it? I have read that apple cider vinegar or coconut oil work, should we try that?

I would use the hydrogen peroxide

Do NOT use coconut oil it will make it worse

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hydrogen peroxide wie will y]use. Do we need to get any creams?

No creams

They will just make it worse

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian