Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He isn't eating or drinking. Not even treats. He doesn't eat…

Customer Question
He isn't eating or...

He isn't eating or drinking. Not even treats. He doesn't eat a lot usually, but loves his treats. He's not himself.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Jake. 4.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?

He's a weird cross breed. Chihuahua and shar pei. He has been pooping and weeing and is currently half barking at the door

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Jake is not eating or drinking. How long has that been going on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's always been a fussy eater. But yesterday afternoon he seemed lethargic and his under his table. He's usually a very excitable, bouncy dog, but last night he didn't even come up to bed with me. Today he seems less lethargic but still isn't eating or drinking. For him to turn down any treat is unheard of. But today he won't touch them. He's just buried them.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
unfortunately my own illnesses mean I cannot call you.

There can be multiple causes of the signs that Jake is showing including acid reflux, pain, nausea, dental pain, pancreatitis, liver and kidney disease, among others. Hopefully he is only have some simple GI upset. In that case, sometimes we do not determine the reason for the GI stomach but treat it successfully with supportive care, such as appetite stimulants, anti-nausea medication, pain medication if indicated. and fluid therapy to treat any dehydration. You can try giving him some Pepcid to see if that helps his appetite. About how much does Jake weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1.5st

You can give him a 5 mg Pepcid (famotidine) tablet. If it does not help, I would get him in to the vet for some lab work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hmm, apparently that's ridiculously hard to get a hold of here in the UK. Is ranitidine a suitable substitute?
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian