Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is 14 - 15 year old gsd and he has started chewing things…

Customer Question
He is 14 -...

He is 14 - 15 year old gsd and he has started chewing things other than his chew toys, does prefer coal when he can over every thing, he is also eating grass when walked.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No foot injury but the past years one back leg he pus down at a slight angle making him abit unsteady, started when he hurt himself lipping up some steps my vet said it was nerve degeneration but he improved to how he is now

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Muster

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Muster?

None seems pretty good for his age

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Muster is having some pretty abnormal behavior. There could be a few different reasons for his behavior. In terms of chewing things he shouldn't, this could be due to dental problems or even cognitive dysfunction (being confused due to age). With eating grass, I am concerned that he has some nausea. There are many causes of nausea in an older dog, including acid reflux, kidney disease, liver disease, irritable bowel disease, pancreatitis and cancer, to name only a few. Since there is such a wide variety of problems that could be going on, I recommend that Muster have some lab work done, including a complete blood count (CBC), chemistry profile, thyroid level, and urinalysis.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian