Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a healthy 8 year old chihuahua. I have been away…

Customer Question
Hi, my dog is...

Hi, my dog is a healthy 8 year old chihuahua. I have been away the past several days and my parents were noticing my dog seemed unable to walk on each front paw at first, but now he has been unable to use his back legs. He will not eat or drink water and he is not his usual excited self when he sees me

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Not that I can see

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louie?

He possibly had a seizure 5 years ago. He suddenly stopped moving and his symptoms lasted a couple hours. By the time we got him to the animal ER, he was just started to stand and wobble and walk again. They did some tests that came back normal and he went back to normal

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I am sorry to hear that Louie is unable to use his back legs. My main concern is that he has a herniated disc that is compressing his spinal cord and cutting off nerve function to his legs. Another possibility is that he has a tumor in that location. I recommend getting him to the vet for x-rays of his spine and some pain medication. Your vet may recommend surgery but if that's not an option he should be placed on strict cage rest and muscle relaxers. I suspect that he is not eating or drinking and having decreased energy due to pain.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian