Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Woodland West Animal Hospital
97605149

My dog just ate 100 softgets of 5000IU of D3 She tore up a

My dog just ate 100 softgets of 5000IU of D3 She tore up a package I had received.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is a 1year old Coton de Tulear that weighs 11 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She managed to get the child proof cap off the bottle. I can't think of anything that would affect her. She has just had a physical and all was fine.

hi Dr W here. I am reading your post now...

Hi I'm sorry to here this. This is a very large and dangerous dose for an 11 lb for a Coton. She needs to have vomiting induced and to be seen at an emergency clinic.

Here is some basic toxicology information:

Overdosage can cause hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria, and hyperphosphatemia. Intake of excessive calcium and phosphate may also cause the same effect. Acute ingestions should be managed using established protocols for removal or prevention of the drug being absorbed from the GI. Orally administered mineral oil may reduce absorption and enhance fecal elimination.

There were 120 single agent exposures to calcitriol reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 106 dogs, 65 were symptomatic with 62% vomiting, 52% hypercalcemic, 49% lethargic, 43% hyperphosphatemic, 34% diarrhea and 20% azotemic.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I gave her Hydrogen peroxide, but she hasn't vomitted. How much should I have given her?

for a small dog 2 teaspoons is enough but it doesn't always work, so go ahead and start to the ER because they will have better vomiting-inducing drugs there

I wish you the best. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! Please remember to accept my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!