Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate approximately 1 lb of cooked chicken that was…

Customer Question
My dog ate approximately...

My dog ate approximately 1 lb of cooked chicken that was marinaded in teriyaki sauce he is a 55lb Australian shepherd/bordie collie mix and is 18 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Fitz

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
It may have been closer to 2 lbs of chicken... The only preservative in the marinade was succinic acid. He is acting fine and is understandably drinking a lot of water. Is there anything I should look out for?
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. How long ago did Fitz eat the chicken?

About 2 hours ago

Okay, the main worry would be the development of salt toxicity due to the sodium content of the marinade. I would monitor for neurologic signs such as tremors and seizures. If you see them, get him to the ER. They will want to check blood work, especially his sodium level. If his sodium level is high, they will want to lower it slowly with IV fluids.

I figured as much. Thank you for your assistance.

You're welcome. I hope he doesn't develop salt toxicity. And, if I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Thank you and have a good night!

I will send the rating feature now.