Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 75lb one year old lab ate an unknown number of baby

My 75lb one year...

My 75lb one year old lab ate an unknown number of baby aspirin around 3 pm today and we attempted to induce vomiting with perioxde that didn’t work. He has played and seemed fine all day. A few minutes ago he threw up a little and it was reddish brown. Still playing with his brother but I’m still worried maybe he needs to go to emergency

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the lab will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the lab?

He’s a one year old healthy British lab weighs by 70-80 lbs

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By unknown number we know it was less than 30 if that many as it was a used bottle he got a hold of.
3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your dog ingested aspirin. I do think it would be a good idea to take him to the ER. One of the signs of aspirin toxicity is vomiting because it is irritating to the lining of the stomach. It can cause kidney and liver problems, as well. The emergency vet will want to do some lab work and get him on a stomach protectant, IV fluids, and possibly some activated charcoal.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are these other signs I should be looking for also? The emergency is who told me to give him the perioxode to induce vomiting and when I called back they told me to look for lethargy, difficulty breathing yellow eyes. And we haven’t seen any of this. I thought he needed to vomit. Sorry to have so many questions. First time this has happened in 20 years of owning labs.
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson, ER/ICU & Exotic Animal Veterinarian
Phone call session started
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian