Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Mt dog has what looks like a "cherry eye", but above the…

Customer Question
Mt dog has what...

Mt dog has what looks like a "cherry eye", but above the cornea and it round? Do you know what that could be please?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I noticed her upper eye looked funny and kinda pulled up on her eye lid and there is a red bump

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She isnt hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Sarah 12

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Would you be able to send a picture of Sarah's eye?

When did you notice it?

I just noticed it today
Before I pulled her eyelid up to check her her eyelid just looked a little swollen. the that red thing popped out an really freaked me out when I pulled her eyelid up to check her. :(

I can see why you would be alarmed! At Sarah's age, I worry about that being a tumor. It could be benign or malignant. I recommend getting her to the vet to try to figure out what it is. Your vet may recommend doing an impression smear, which is where a part of a microscope slide is pushed against the growth in an attempt to get cell samples to look at under the microscope. This may or may not reveal the type of tumor. If it does not, the best course of action would be to have it removed and submitted for biopsy. I also recommend having some lab work done because it may give information about the growth as well as screen for other conditions that older dogs can develop, including diabetes, hypothyroidism, liver and kidney problems, to name a few.

Ok, thank you

You're welcome. Good luck with her. And, if I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Thank you and have a great night!

You too :)

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity can a "cherry eye" be on the top like that or only on the bottom?

Only on the bottom - it is when the gland of the third eyelid pops out of the pocket in the corner of the eye.

ok, thank you :)

You're welcome :)