Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I had already typed my question and was waiting for a

I had already typed...

I had already typed my question and was waiting for a response

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

My puppy is four months old, he has what you told the girl who said her dog had a problem and you said it was

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?

Bulbourethral glands

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

My puppy has those on the left and right side of his penis. I don’t see a sack at the end of his penis nor at his butt area. My vet said he felt a testicle but could not feel the other and said he would need to go in and do surgery and cut all up his belly and chest to find it. He said he could not be bred, and I would need to neuter him. I bought this puppy to show and bred him. What can I or is there anything to help my puppy to bring his testicles down to where they should be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your puppy bleeding a lot?

There’s no blood he’s just four months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Noah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Noah?

I placed all this already in a message and it for some reason it hadn’t shown up that I did type all these questions your asking agai.

3/12/2018
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

I'm sorry something happened with your other question, I think I have the info I need-

Have you talked to the breeder about the info your vet gave? I have had a handful of puppies where awake I could only feel one testicle, but then when they were relaxed under anesthesia we were able to feel the other and could do a normal neutering.

But that is typical that we warn people that if we cannot feel the second one when under anesthesia, sometimes it can be stuck in the groin, or even as high up as close to the kidney and requires a more involved/complicated surgery to get them out. There is no way we know of to get them to move unfortunately, usually if both are in the scrotum we can feel them by 6 weeks if age, they don't typically just show up later :(

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I purchased this puppy to become a breeder myself and trainer/handler. The breeder said if the testicles don't drop than then I will need to neuter him and find him a pet home. I want to know if there is anything that can be done to help bring the testicle to where they should go?

If the testicles don't go to their proper place naturally, there is not a way to make them move unfortunately for the way the ligament they are attached to is quite tight. It could potentially be an option to sedate him to see if that level of relaxation makes it able to be felt on the outside, if it is just more tucked up than usual. If it is in the abdomen, it will not come out on its own.

That is also correct for the recommendation not to breed them as it is common to pass on that issue for the retained testicle (cryptorchidism), they cannot be shown if they do not have both of their testicles unfortunately. If one of the testicles was 'riding high' but was able to be felt when sedated, that still could be an issue for showing if a judge was not able to feel both testicles.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My vet only examed him once, he was an inported puppy from Turkey by a well known breeder throughout the world. He's been to a vet in Turkey and right before he came here he was to undergo an exam before he could come to the usa. Nothing was told to me that his testicles had a problem

Most breeders have a check before puppies are adopted out, and when I have done litter checks at 4-6 weeks old, we always check for both testicles then - if they aren't felt then, it is likely to be an ongoing issue unfortunately. It may be worth checking the fine print of your contract to see if they have any wording in there about this, or seeing if you can get any info from the vet in Turkey about his exam there, that typically is documented whether they are felt or not. You may have some sort of legal recourse but of course that is more tricky when dealing with another country :(

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You're welcome - I wish I had other suggestions for you but it is a tough situation in many aspects, especially for what I'm sure you spent with the breeder, and the hopes you had for Noah. Hopefully they will be willing to do something for you since this is not what you were expecting :(

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family - this is included in your question fee. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets. Bonuses are never expected but always much appreciated!

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Maryann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian