Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My teenage son called me at work that our puppy took off…

Customer Question
My teenage son called...

My teenage son called me at work that our puppy took off when she returned home She had a small cut on her back leg on like the knee part in a U shape then she has a open wound burn like just above her butt on tail When she moves or we move her she whines if back legs move or get touched but she can stand up I don’t know what happen or what to do if I should take her to vet or if the reason she’s whining when move is cuz she’s just sore. What should I do? Please help? She’s my baby and means the world to me and my family

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your puppy bleeding a lot?

No, my son cleaned up the cut on her back leg knee part and by her butt tail area It just bled a bit my son said

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the puppy's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

No she’s very healthy no other health issues. She’s 3 months old

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thank you

Friend, I am sorry to learn that Chloe is hurt. In response to your question, it sounds like she is in pain. I would definitely have her examined by a veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the wounds or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

NOTE: Do not give over the counter pain medication there is nothing that would be safe for your puppy. Once she is seen by a veterinarian they will start her on pain medication. If possible, I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does it sound to you like she may have been hit by car or more like she got caught up in something like barb wire (we live out in the country around all farms) also Chloe is a very tiny puppy, that’s why I would think if hit she would be worse or dead. Trying to ease my mind sorry for all the questions

Both scenarios are possible and for this reason, it is important that she is examined by a veterinarian. Once the vet examines her they can have a better understanding of what happened. Without a hands-on examination, I am not able to tell you exactly what could of happen, I am sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand thank you for your help I really appreciate it

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian