Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog gets a little surprised and excited sometimes when I…

My dog gets a...

My dog gets a little surprised and excited sometimes when I come home and if I don’t immediately spend time with him he freezes up and doesn’t move and starts to collapse. I’m not sure if it’s a seizure

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Andrew 12.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Andrew?

I don’t think so. He’s a pug and in good health otherwise

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Does Andrew freeze up at any other time, or only after you come home?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sometimes after I wake him and he hasn’t been awake long

Does he ever paddle his legs, foam at the mouth or lose consciousness during these episodes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Ok, then it does not sound like a seizure. When you say it looks like he starts to collapse, does he sink to the floor?
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He seems to just freeze up and slowly begins to collapse to the floor. It almost seems like he’s not breathing normally at the time too. Like maybe he stops breathing for a minute. When he had the bad one the other night, I had just come home and grabbed his food scoop and headed outside to get his food. By the time I came back inside he was almost fully collapsed on the floor. I ran and picked him up and started rubbing his chest vigorously. It took less than a minute for him to come out if it and I set him down. He walked around a bit and then laid down next to me where I pet him for a while.

This does not sound like a classic seizure, but he may not have read the rule book. I think a trial of an anti-seizure medication would be a good idea. The first drug of choice is usually phenobarbital. Your vet will want to have some blood work to check his organ function prior to starting it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what does it sound like if not a seizure? I will talk with my vet again about it. You’re the first person to say that it’s not a seizure and I don’t necessarily think it is either but what do you think it could be?? Thanks

I think it's possible that he gets so excited to see you when you get home that he works himself into a frenzy. If the anti-seizure medication does not help, I would try an anti-anxiety medication to keep him calm when he gets that excited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you. One last question, do you think it’s good for him to take anti seizure medication if he doesn’t need it?

Not in the long-term. But using it for a short time to figure out whether he's having seizures or not is fine. Long-term use of seizure medication requires monitoring liver values.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian