Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog has recently started finding it difficult to settle…

Customer Question
Hi there our dog...

Hi there our dog has recently started finding it difficult to settle down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She takes for ever to find a comfortable position and then whimpers as if she is in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

She then rushes around the house like crazy rubbing against stuff

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Juliet she is 5 as far as we know since she is a rescue and we got her last yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

She had a non painful luxating patella on her left hind leg

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Juliet is behaving strangely. How long has it been going on? Have their been any changes to her routine or in the household? New people or animals in the home?

Well the only change is that I have started a new job that requires me to travel quite a bit so I am away more than before (my husbands hours are the same as before)
It has been going on a week and a half and I started my new job in January. She had had numerous tests including MRI and CT scan done and they haven’t found anything

Has your vet given her any pain medication?

they gave her gavipentan which we gave her tonight for the first time. She was a bit more relaxed but still quite restless
She now eats the wet food the vet gave us but will not eat her kibble. She doesn’t drink water at all unless hand fed by us and then she will drink a few spoonfuls. She isn’t too bad when walking and just doing day to day stuff it is just when trying to settle down it gets bad
Forgot to mention- the only abnormal thing the tests showed was a thickened section of the ileum on her stomach ultrasound

What is her dental health like? My concern is that she is not eating her kibble due to dental pain. The gabapentin may not be enough to take care of that kind of pain, or you might need to give a higher dose of it. I would ask your vet about a higher dose of gabapentin, or adding another pain medication in, such as Rimadyl. If she is having arthritis pain, the Rimadyl will provide anti-inflammatory effects in addition to pain relief.

Would dental pain only show up when she is trying to lie down?

No but if she's got arthritis as well it could be a separate cause of pain that acts up when she tries to get comfortable. So she might have dental pain when she tries to eat kibble and arthritis pain when she tries to lie down.