Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My senior golden ate a ham bone from rite aid and now has…

My senior golden ate...

My senior golden ate a ham bone from rite aid and now has gotten sick multiple times. Bits of bone in throw up and now she has nothing left to throw up just yellow stuff.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Golden will be able to digest that. What is the Golden's name and age?

Lady , rescue around 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lady?

She’s been slow the last 6months with her hips going out. But that’s kinda of it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Is she on any medications?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- How long has it been since the last time she vomited?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she is
She is on thyroid medicine
She’s about 45lbs
She vomited a few minutes ago

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She just walked to the mailbox and then pooped. So she up

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. The fact that she has a history of eating a ham bone I am concerned she may have part of the bone obstructed in her gastrointestinal tract. I would recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can for a hands-on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight; if she does have part of the bone obstructed the outcome could be fatal if the bone perforates the gastrointestinal tract. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by your vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours, You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Note: If she is going to see your vet in the morning do not feed her until she has seen the vet. She can have water as long as she is no longer vomiting.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you ��

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian