Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 y/o dog woke up throwing up blood this morning. Other…

My 2 y/o dog...

My 2 y/o dog woke up throwing up blood this morning. Other than being less hyper nothing else seems off with her. She can't even hold down water without being sick. Her diet hasn't changed, both of my dogs got Into the trash the other night while we were out, but that was 2 nights ago. No blood in urine, stool, or coming out of nose or mouth that I can tell. We are trying to find a way to get money to take her to the vet asap, is there anything I could do to help with vomiting or to help soothe her until then ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Nothing that we can directly put our fingers on. We found an empty wheat thins box and they'd gotten into some chocolate chip cookies, but there weren't many in the bag. And my other dogs thrown up today, but no blood or anything out of the ordinary. I did see that you can give them small amounts of Pepto. That seemed to help my older dog, but the younger one threw it up in minutes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Xina, and she's almost 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Xina?

She's got some dry skin that we've been trying to get a handle on, other than that she's normally very hyper, happy and healthy.

3/12/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How long has it been since the last time she vomited?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 40 lbs, not that we know of other than some dry skin, about 30 minutes because she had some water.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My phone is messed up and I cannot call out/receive calls.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, when we see blood in the vomit this can be caused by many different medical conditions. The fact that she has a history of getting in the trash I am concerned this could be related to a foreign body obstructed in her upper gastrointestinal tract. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, it can make the bleeding worst. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, we will try that for now. Thank you

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian