Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 20lb shitzhu ate a piece of dark chocolate. I gave him 2…

My 20lb shitzhu ate...

My 20lb shitzhu ate a piece of dark chocolate. I gave him 2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and bread. He has not vomited yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Benji 10yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Benji?

Can I give him water?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benji?

No, he has been checked by the veterinarian and he he is Heathy

3/12/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Do you have an idea of how many ounces this was and whether it was pure dark chocolate or filled? You can repeat the peroxide once, please make sure to walk Benji around afterwards and no water yet as it will dilute the peroxide

I will wait for further information on the size ingested to guide you further

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was dark chocolate that I bought at the grocery store; Virginia Trail mix

If you have any idea of how many ounces. Without this information I cannot determine the level of toxicity to Benji

Trail mix also reflects likelihood of raisins in there which is also a concern of kidney function. Are you able to provide any further information on amount ingested?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was semisweet chocolate chunk
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The chocolate fell and he grabbed it

I can give you basic guldelines but again without more information I cannot assess your pet's risk. Since there are raisins in this as well please consider a veterinary er to administer stronger medication to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to prevent absorption of anything metabolized.

With this ingestion, you may see mild to moderate symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then your dog should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if this symptom is seen

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have activated charcoal, can I give him some

Please follow the directions as I have outlayed. Over the counter activated charcoal tablets are not very effective, the formula we have is much more concentrated

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was on a cleanse and I received activated charcoal powder. How much can I give him

I am going to opt out to allow another expert to assist you. Activated charcoal over the counter comes in a variety of concentrations and do not feel comfortable answering this question without knowing its effect and its ability to reduce risk for your pet, especially if raisins were ingested as well. Please do not respond until another expert enters the chat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He did not have any raises just chocolate
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Altman for you. It would take ~1/3 ounce of pure dark chocolate per pound of body weight to intoxicate a dog with the theobromine in chocolate. That would be equivalent to ~7 ounces for Benji which wasn't present in that piece. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Benji wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you both, I love my Benji and I feel better

You're quite welcome. Benji has a nice (and safe) snack! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Benji never vomited, so I gave him water and small portion of food this morning. Will the hydrogen peroxide I gave him yesterday make him sick?

Peroxide induces emesis by irritating the stomach lining. The irritation abates quickly and so no lastign effects are expected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You ��

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian