Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate five pieces of chocolate small round pieces. He ate…

Customer Question
He ate five pieces...

He ate five pieces of chocolate small round pieces

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He ate five pieces of chocolate small round pieces. He is a King Charles Cavalier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

He is a King Charles Cavalier

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the animal will be able to digest that. What is the's name and age?

The dog is one-year-old and 10 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sonny

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Was this milk chocolate or plain chocolate, { One is more toxic than the other }?

3 milkcocalate 3 dark chocolate

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

3.4 oz. tota

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Sonny very much, he may perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and /or diarrhoea but if this occurs it should soon pass. So really, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 10 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 3 ozs of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. But in your case, half of the chocolate was milk chocolate which is way less toxic than dark chocolate so this should reduce the levels to below any toxicity concerns. Also if there were any fillings then this would very much be a plus point as well.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sonny's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sonny is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?