Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 14 year old chihuahua has coughed uncontrollably the…

Our 14 year old...

Our 14 year old chihuahua has coughed uncontrollably the last 3 nights. Only during the night. A dry cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Romeo and he is 14 yrs old

3/12/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

With Romeo's age and breed even though the cough is only at night I would encourage a veterinary exam to rule out a few things such as heart disease, a collapsing trachea, or even seasonal allergies which may require further treatment. There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in available
4.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound in the evening since this is primarily at night to help Romeo sleep more fitfully and reduce the cough

I hope this information makes sense. If the cough beomes productive I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted but also to rule out the causes of the cough with this ongoing for several nights In addition if there is development of lethargy, blue/ purple/ pale gums or tongue, restlessness or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He weighs 5 lbs. do I try 5 mg of Benadryl

Yes this would be 1 teaspoon of the liquid, 1/2 of a children's formula, or 1/4 of an adult 25 mg tablet

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am online another 15 minutes if I can be of any further assistance this evening

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was charged $5 and $14 for this answer. I thought it was only $5

This is not my area of expertise. I am an expert in veterinary medicine but am happy to send the question to customer service to address your concerns. Is there anything else I can do for you and Romeo before I do as the question will be locked for the evening and I will not be able to respond again

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian