Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 wk old Maltipoo puppy that tested positive for…

Hello,I have a 9 wk...
Hello,I have a 9 wk old Maltipoo puppy that tested positive for Parvo yesterday. We have been treating her at home keeping her hydrated and giving her baby food chicken and water yesterday and then from this afternoon pedialite every half hour.She just pooped and it was more formed. She did have watery diarrhea a bit too but at the end. The very loose but most definitely formed and the smell was a million times better than yesterday.the last time she pooped before that was about 8 hours ago.thicker poop / less smell and only threw up a tiny bit about an hour ago. Does this sound promising?I'm so scared. She is just 2.5 pounds
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did they send her home with any type of antibiotics or give her any medication for vomiting?

She is getting Clavamox .3ml 2x a dayYesterday at the ER they gave her anti nausea injection and antibiotic injections and Sub Cutaneous (SP) Fluids.Since then we have been keeping her hydrated by giving her water every half hour yesterday till today

Okay thanks for the additional information. Sorry to hear about Xayah. Is she showing any interest in food? It definitely is a good sign that the stool is improved, but she is not out of the woods as of yet. It still may take a couple of days of treatment to know for sure. If she starts to eat without vomiting then that surely will be a definitive sign that she is on the way to recovery.

She is not showing any interest in food. i have been feeding her with a syringe.1ml chicken baby food once every hour and 2 ml pedialite.I tried to increase the pedialite to 3 ml but that might have been what upset her tummy. I also had just given her pepto (which the vet asked me to do so) and a little tiny bit of Nutrical
She has only pooped 3x today. Once at 12:30 am (foul smelling, watery diarrhea), 10:00 am slightly formed, less smelly, and then at 6:16 pm much more formed and almost no smell.

Okay sounds like you are doing a good job of nursing her. Is she keeping the food down that your are giving by syringe? It can take about 2-3 days to show some significant improvement with parvo disease. If she continues to have improving consistency with her stool then her appetite may return in a couple of days as well. Are you able to keep track of her temperature?

I have not done the temperature, but yesterday at the vet er her temp was 101.5She has kept the food down that I have been giving with the syringe.

Okay great that is a good sign that she has kept the food down as well and she has a normal temperature. As long as none of that changes then she should be moving in the right direction for recovery.

How common are false positives for parvo?She got her parvo shot on 02/23 (1st) and was asked to get the second shot on 03/16

False positives are not that common in comparison to false negative. Usually they need at least two shots to be completely protected against getting the disease. sometimes more. It depends on how much immunity they have acquired from the mother during nursing.

Does getting another parvo shot while testing positive for parvo help?

No getting another shot while testing positive doesn't help. But if she survives this virus she will be considered immune to the disease for the rest of the life.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much for your help

You are welcome. Wishing Xayah the best!

Hello, I just wanted to update that my sweet pup passed away last night.We are devastated beyond words. But she is in a better place.Last night the vet allowed us to hug her, love her and kiss her, tell her that we love her.. And she passed away in the night.

Oh so sorry to hear that :( I was really hoping that she would pull through.