Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5m malamute he weighs about 50 lbs he swallowed a…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a 5m malamute he weighs about 50 lbs he swallowed a sock

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Joey 5 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joey?

We called poison control and gave him 2 spoons of the 3% hydrogen peroxide he threw up the treats he ate after he had eaten the sock

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he ate the sock about ~4 1/2 hrs ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can we just message

Sure, most likely no need for a phone call, I am busy typing up your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The good thing here is that Joey is a larger dog, I have known many such dogs swallow socks over the years and in most cases the sock either just passed along the dog's digestive tract or was vomited back up sometime over a three to four day period. As more than four hours has passed then there is most likely no point in continuing to induce vomiting now, but as long as he is acting normally and is bright, alert and eating then you will be taking very little risk in just observing him over the next few days.

2. Of course, if any odd symptoms do set in such as repeated vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and vague signs of abdominal pain then you should have him checked over by an ER vet without delay, but this would be unlikely in such cases. { This could indicate an intestinal tract blockage. }

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Joey's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we had actually already given him 2 spoons of hydrogen peroxide before i talked to you. he threw up the treats he had eaten after he ate the sock and but not the sock. We gave him the hydrogen peroxide 2-3 hrs after he ingested the sock. he just took a nap for about an hour and ate his food. he also was running around and looked happy

The fact he is acting normally is very encouraging ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Joey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the sock incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian