Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We went for a walk and our 6yr old boston terrier coughed up…

We went for a...

We went for a walk and our 6yr old boston terrier coughed up white foam and snot and then lost balance. She recovered within seconds we walked home (10 mins) and right as we got home she fell off balance again, and has been ok. It's been about 30 minutes but we are worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I will check

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Boston Terrier?

He sounds cruddy or croupy. He always sounds kind of like a pig but this is more phlegm sounding

3/12/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your Boston terrier. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, I want to start by letting you know you really got my attention when you described what happened. These symptoms can indicate some potentially very serious problems like heart failure, even in a young dog with no previous symptoms.

Yes, it can be caused by other things, too, but I would consider this an emergency.

What is your question for me this evening, please?
I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

you recommend a vet visit today? I can also get him in at 8 am tomorrow, but would like your professional advice.

I understand.

In all honesty, while it's possible he may be able to wait until morning, I wouldn't feel safe recommending that. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to breathing problems, especially with Bostons.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Ok. I will look for an open clinic. Thank you.

You're very welcome. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this turns out to be something simple with an easy solution. Thank you so much for being willing to get him to the ER quickly.

And thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo