Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog I think, I don’t know for 100% sure, but I’m pretty…

My dog I think...

My dog I think, I don’t know for 100% sure, but I’m pretty positive that he ate a pair of underwear. He is known for eating socks, and has always thrown them up or they came out when he went potty. I believe he ate them on Friday evening, and it is now Sunday night. I keep feeding him, and he continues to eat and drink fine, but it seems like the amount of stool he is passing is much smaller and softer than usual. He is a 3 year old, 75 pound APBT. Please help, I’m worried SICK about this, but vet’s in my area are so weird with my APBT’s and want to sedate them before even touching them. He’s acting himself and eating and drinking, so I don’t know if it’s cause for concern or not and I don’t want to wait until it’s possibly too late.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

I don’t think so, but anything in question, I’ll be glad to answer!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

I am sorry you have such a poor experience at veterinary clinics in your area with your dog. There are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production it does become the point he has to be evaluated by a veterinarian.

- Feed small more frequent meals of white rice and lean boiled meat which is used to bulk up the foreign body and hopefully push it through. Add water to the meals to encourage lubrication as well

- Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes. Repeat two to three times daily until you see improvement in the stools or evidence of the underwear in the stools

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own and without going to the veterinarian to do an abdominal ultrasound your best bet in hoping this will pass without incident

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I be concerned that the amount of stool he is passing is smaller than usual? Right now, he is chewing on his antler and he has been playing with my other dog all day. Any other thing I need to look for? I feel like it’s never taken this long for things to pass, but I also know that every instance isn’t identical to the last.

Smaller items can get in folds of the stomach and I have had items pass weeks after known ingestion. As long as he is acting normal, no vomiting, not lethargic, nor reduced appetite I would stay the course but if that changes then it is time to get him in.

It is odd that the stool is smaller indicating the stool is sitting in the colon longer but not a clear cut indicator of a foreign body by any means

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about diarrhea? Should I be concerned of that, or is that different than the emergency sign of vomiting? Also I read that milk would help with lubricating the stomach as well, should I let him have that? Thank you so much for your help. He is seriously my baby and I want so bad to keep him healthy and with me for as long as I possibly can!

The white rice and lean boiled meat should help with any risks of diarrhea, and would be a potential indicator of a partial obstruction which would progress to lethargy, vomiting, reduced appetite if this were the case.

Please no milk, dogs are very lactose intolerant and you are going to cause loose stools with this. Water is better

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My little guy ended up having to have surgery yesterday morning at 7am. Luckily, nothing had moved into the intestines yet and was all easy to locate and remove, still being in his stomach. They got out 4 pair of underwear and I honestly had no idea! They told me that he bounced back extremely quickly from the surgery and they thought it would be better for him to rest at home, since he was uneasy at the vet recovery. We picked him up at 7pm yesterday and he has been nonstop snoozing pretty much since. He is exhausted. Just in the last hour, he has started having little random jolts through his body. If I run on him or snuggle him, they seem to stop, but otherwise they will start randomly and just seem to be sporadic. He also readjusts himself when he starts doing that, like he can’t get comfortable. I’m wondering if this is from pain? He was only given an antibiotic and Quellin, which I looked up to see the side effects and saw that it could be purchased at PetSmart. Is that even strong enough to take care of his pain from a surgery like that? He’s 70lbs.Thank you for checking on him. It was heartbreaking that we ended up having to do the surgery, but I’m so glad that we did and potentially saved my little baby’s life!

Sorry to hear that he ended up requiring surgery. Quelin is carprofen and does require a prescription, it is a non steroidal often given postoperatively to control pain and inflammation.

The spasms are a little curious and should be monitored closely, muscle spasms can occur postoperatively and should subside in the next 24-48 hours

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for checking back in! I will absolutely monitor him closely to make sure these subside. They do seem to have stopped and he has a huge appetite and now is resting again! Wish we wouldn’t have had to cut him open, but I’m glad he’s on his way to being happy and healthy again!

You are very welcome, incision looks pretty expected at this point so hopefully he will heal without incident

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian