Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog (12-year-old labrador retriever) had her right hind…

My dog (12-year-old labrador...

My dog (12-year-old labrador retriever) had her right hind leg amputated in early January. She had osteosarcoma way up in her hip socket. She was getting around really well for about 6 weeks, and the last two she hardly wants to move. In the last couple of days I have noticed that the area has swollen to several times its size. Should I take her to the ER, or can this wait until morning?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Chutzpah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chutzpah?

Yes, she had her right rear leg amputated in early January due to osteosarcoma. She was getting around fine for about 6 weeks--walking up to a mile at a time, very willingly. The last week or so, she has slowed down a great deal. And the area where the amputation is is very, very swollen the last couple of days. Should I take her to the ER, or can this wait til morning?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does the area feel warm to the touch at all? Is she currently on any medications?

A tiny bit warm. no meditations. She takes glucosamine in chewy form.
I'm just wondering if this can wait until morning.

Okay thansk for the additional information. Are you noticing any discoloration of the swollen area? Based on what you are describing I am suspecting that the tumor is growing in the hip area now which is causing the swelling. If she seems extremely uncomfortable or if the area is discolored then I would recommend taking her in the ER. If she seems to be tolerating the pain OK now then it can wait until the morning.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne