Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is in quarantine for overdue rabies..she is older…

My dog is in...

My dog is in quarantine for overdue rabies..she is older about 11 and she bitvet asst on day 7..she was in a very small cage and they had to open the door to let her outside in other words she was not in no contact cage..or where county keeps them for quarantine..now city having meetin to determine if vicious

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Roxy...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?

No well her eyesight isnt good..i helped remove her from that facility to one they usualy use and it has been much better no biting ive visited and took her bed

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

How can I help you? What questions do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im defending her life....are there extenuating cause for bite on day 7 since old and in small cage..she has done another 10 days and doesnt have rabies..shes not vicious im preparin a letter to save her

are they planning on putting her down?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
either that or move her to another city

why do they want to move her to another city???

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in 3 days

what is that supposed to do?

what breed is she?

the whole reason this is an issue is due to overdue rabies......if she were up to date on rabies.....none of this would be happening like this....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she is mixed..has black tongue so they say chow mix..had her 11 years she doesnt look like chow..just black tongue

can you just tell them you will update her rabies and keep her away from all people from now on?

is she blind?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will...i wanted to say she was fearful in first facility ...we moved her to the one they usuallly use..no but eyes cloudy..never been apart from me has separation anxiety..i read vets and techs are bitten frequently at the vets and they dont go around trying to put it down

you are right....we are bitten frequently......and that is not a reason to put a dog down.....the problem is the lack of rabies vaccine...but many older dogs will bite.....if they have quarantined her for 10 days why cannot they just release her?

what state do you live in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
iowa its small town holstein..she has done 20 days now

You need to find out what the rabies laws are in your state....you can probably look that up online...let me see if I can find something for you...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok..she was supposed to come home last monday till bite on vet tech..the public health guy said no one wanted to put her down and then i was served by city
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i was just thinking a bite in a vets office is not the same as out in public..esp prolonged quarantine

why were you served by the city? For what?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to come to town hall meeting to determine if vicious if found to be..have to get her out of town in three days or they seize her and euthanize her

well that is reasonable....will your vet say she is not vicious? She does not sound vicious...she sounds old and older dogs are grumpy...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i dont have a vet just moved here 2 months ago

would the vet at the facility speak for you or even the vet tech that was bitten could.....

the vet tech that was bitten should not your dog is just old and grumpy and not vicious....

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
at the new facility they might..she barks at them some..even the health dept guy said that facility was just fearful of her from start..the health dept guy daid a lot of things cause we were in his truck last sat a few hours moving her..but he wont return my phone call..its weird situation thank you for trying tohelp..ill just do best i can thank you..i will give you good rating..not much else to say

best of luck to you.......let me know if you need additional help..DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian