Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just tried to eat a battery. What should I do? She…

My dog just tried...

My dog just tried to eat a battery. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

She tried to eat a battery

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't hurt. She just ate a battery and I'm not sure what I should do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

She is 5 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Hunter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hunter?

No I just need to know what to do

3/12/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Hunter and the battery. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Did she only "try" to eat the battery, or did she actually swallow it?
  • What kind of battery was it?
  • What kind of dog is Hunter?
  • Is Hunter otherwise healthy and on no medications?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Yeah she only tried to eat it. She chewed on it and cracked open the casing and black powder came out. It's a Kodak AA battery with zinc chloride inside. She is a chocolate lab and otherwise healthy. No meds.
Phone call session started