Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of my son's dogs ate something called FreshUs from a…

Customer Question
One of my son's...

One of my son's dogs ate something called FreshUs from a beef teriyaki bag.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bass, corgie Chihuahua mix, 15-16 lbs, 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She's throwing up. Would hydrogen peroxide help

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

Good news!. FreshUs oxygen absorbers are not toxic as such to dogs as far as the contents go, that said some dogs might perhaps experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea but that should soon pass. Additionally, there is a small risk of alimentary tract obstruction due to the packet itself if it was swallowed whole so if symptoms persist then you should have your vet check over Bass just in case.

2. If she is vomiting at present anyway then there does not seem much point in inducing vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. But I will give you some tips on how to handle a mild tummy upset in the dog on a home remedy basis ...

A. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

B. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bass's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bass is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the FreshUs ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian