Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 week old lab puppy may have ingested bark/ mulch and…

My 10 week old...

My 10 week old lab puppy may have ingested bark/ mulch and has thrown up 5-6 times

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Grace

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Grace?

Eyes have slight mucus around bottom, was not there earlier, prior to vomiting. She is somewhat lethargic.

3/12/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your pet. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with vomiting. If these don't work, I would strongly urge you to take your pet to the vet for an xray tomorrow.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the effects of bark/ mulch in her stomach?

The Pepcid should help with any stomach ulceration that might occur there. One thing that is beyond our control is whether or not she can pass all of the bark/mulch. This is impossible to predict. However, if she continues to vomit in spite of the pepcid and bland diet, I would take her in to the vet tomorrow for an xray.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian