Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a bad rash that want go away. Aspen she one year…

Customer Question
She has a bad...

She has a bad rash that want go away

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Aspen she one year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I have been to the vet and they gave her steroids and a inject and they gave her pill to take but nothing is working

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/12/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Do you know what the name of the pill was that was given? Are you able to take a picture of the rash?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She gave her a shot for itching also

Okay thank you for the additional information . How long has the rash been there for? It looks pretty severe. Has Aspen been in any contact with poison ivy or anything?

There is a possibility that She has a pretty bad yeast infection or that could be major bruising as well. In addition to the medications that she currently is on, there is a likelihood that she will need to be on an antibiotic as well to help get rid of the rash. If that doesn't work then I would recommend having bloodwork done just to make sure it is not due to some type of bruising.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has not been around poison ivy when they gave us the steroid it goes away and then in a couple weeks in comes right back. She is a house dog

Has she been on an antibiotic before? Is she currently still on the Apoquel or did she finish that. Since it goes away with the steroid that would indicate that it is some type of allergy to something that she is exposed to. You may want to try a hypoallergenic diet to see if it helps and she may need to be on a low dose of steroids long term since it keeps coming back. There is also a allergy injection called Cytopoint that I have used in dogs that have hard to treat allergies that you can ask your veterinarian about as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She hasn't been on antibiotic before and she had the cytopoint inject as well...what would you recommend for an antibiotic? She is on a good diet with her food we also have her on vitamins with omegas in them she has not been on them too long.

The antibiotic I usually use for skin infections includes Cephalexin, Simplicef, or the injectable antibiotic called Convenia. Those seem to work well with skin infections that are due to allergies.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** see if our vet will allow her to have that injection. If not what would be the next thing you recommend?

You are welcome. They should allow her to have the Convenia injection. If not they should give her the pills. Otherwise she may need to be on a low dose of steroids to see if that helps for some time

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian