Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog ate rate poison. She ran into the shed and…

I think my dog...

I think my dog ate rate poison. She ran into the shed and came out with a green chewable block in her mouth. I stopped her from chewing and threw it away but I think she ingested a few granules.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

Yes, It was a green block block of substance that I think was rat poison my husband put in the shed.

3/11/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. Yes - it does sound like this is rat bait. Do you have a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide? You need to get her to vomit immediately.

Let me know if you do have this at home and I will give you a dose for her to administer by mouth. If you do not have a bottle at home, then you can either run to the drug store to get a bottle or take her to a vet so they can make her vomit.

How much should I give HER. sHE is about 45 lbs in wt.

Administer 3 tablespoons by mouth of the 3% hydrogen peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5 minutes, then repeat 3 tablespoons ONCE. Do not repeat it a third time.

Thank you

You're welcome. Even if the inducing vomiting is successful and you see green material in the vomitus, I do still recommend you take her into the vet tonight for vitamin K capsules. This is the antidote for rat bait. Prognosis is excellent with stomach decontamination (inducing vomiting) and vitamin K treatment.

This is a well respected website for additional information for you: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-safety-tips/mouse-and-rat-poison-rodenticides-poisonous-to-dogs-cats/

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would appreciate if you would hit accept at the top right of your screen and leave me a review for my service. Thank you.

I just wanted to know if my dog is hungry after she vomits can I give her regular dry food or something else to soothe her stomach

She will likely feel nauseas for a little bit after the hydrogen peroxide so I would wait 1-2 hours before offering her any food.

Chelsea Schwarb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Chelsea Schwarb