Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9.5 yr old Cavalier, recently diagnosed with Mitral…

I have a 9.5...

I have a 9.5 yr old King Charles Cavalier, recently diagnosed with Mitral Value Disease. But, that is not why I took her to the Vet. It was her breathing, gasping for air - then she collapse one day. Scared the life out of her and me. I had xrays and an ultrasound done. It only showed the Mitral Value disease and even that is minimal. When I described the collapsing - they all (Vets) look at me like I'm crazy. I've been researching for weeks trying to find an answer to help her. I'm so concerned she will chock herself to death. I'm not sleeping, because I'm listening for her to take that "big gasp of air", which is the reassurance she is still breathing. I still pop up out of bed to make sure she is ok. Please help...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No - other than fatigue, she doesn't run/play anymore. To be expected, since the diagnose of the heart. She is on med's for the heart condition.

3/12/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Did your vet run and EKG or put a holter monitor on your dog? If they did not then the should , because your dog could have a heart arrhythmia they are missing......and this could explain the collapse....

If you told me about the collapse the first thing I would do is a long strip EKG and if I did not find anything I would put a halter monitor on your dog to look at the EKG over time....I would look for an arrhythmia......I hope that helps...let me know if you need additional help..DRB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian