Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 year old diabetic lab....vomiting and diarrhea, listless,

12 year old diabetic...

12 year old diabetic lab....vomiting and diarrhea, listless, did not eat this morning and I skipped the novolin n dose....won't eat this evening...should I skip the dose again?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the lab?

She's blind

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
dose is usually 15 units morning and evening ..one hour after meal
she usually eats grilled chicken strip, green beans and/or brown rice, with some dry dog food
3/11/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your diabetic dog is vomiting and not eating. Can you check her blood sugar at home?

Generally I recommend giving 1/2 the normal dose if a diabetic dog does not eat, but checking to see what her blood sugar reading is best.

You can try giving Pepcid AC (famotidine) for vomiting; how much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no way to check her glucose level. she weighs 64 pounds and usually is a very good eater
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she seems so listless, I am afraid to give her the novolin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i can't get to a vet until tomorrow morning....no ER vet clinics here

If you are concerned and can't check her blood sugar I would not give insulin.

You can give her 15 to 20 mg of Pepcid for vomiting.

If you lift her lip to check her gums, are they pink in color or pale?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing and if you have other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pink

Pink is a good sign she is stable. Will she drink water? If so, try offering broth, or Pedialyte.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she does drink

That is good. I would have your veterinarian check her when you can tomorrow.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will call them at 7am...thank you !

You are welcome.

Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian