Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old dog had his first 2 seizures a couple of days…

My 12 year old...

My 12 year old dog had his first 2 seizures a couple of days ago. We took him to a neurologist and they did an MRI of the brain and it showed no tumors. They sample spinal fluid and no meningitis. He has now started seizure med 2 xday. Before all this happened we had noticed some stiffness in his back legs making it more challenging to get up on the bed, couches etc. About a month ago his regular vet did s blood panel to see if we could start him on something for his stiffness and found some enzymes elevated in his liver so he got put on Denamarin . He's got about 10 more days on the meds, then another blood panel to see if the levels have gone down. If not then we will ultrasound his liver to see if anything else is going on. my question is we seeing him sway back on his legs and often collapse below him as he stands or walks .. this has been apparent ever since he got home from the MRI, overnight stay, and thought it was left over sedation... but I really don't think so ... could it be a tumor? Could he have injured his legs when he had his seizures as he was so rigid? Is it the Denamarin ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not that I know of .. seems like a lot! he's been eating well , don't know...

3/11/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. I would be happy to help you with your questions today. Can you please tell me the name of the anti-seizure medications he was placed on? And, how many days/weeks he has been on each of these anti-seizure medications?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Keppra .. 750 mg 2 x day .. started it yesterday

Okay, thank you. When first starting Keppra the dog can display ataxia, which means walking like they are drunk. The ataxia can last for about 2 weeks and then resolves on its own. I think the swaying of his hind end is most likely from this. When you took him home after his MRI the anesthesia could have caused him to be lethargic, nauseas, uninterested in food and ataxic for 1-2 days.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is helpful ..right after his seizures when he walked around dazed all 4 legs and mostly his back legs gave out during that time as well

I do not think it is a cancerous tumor causing the ataxia if the MRI was negative for a mass. It is possible that he may have injured himself while having a seizure. However, this would be a soft tissue injury and ataxia looks very different from limping due to a soft tissue injury. So I think this is unlikely as well.

Can I help you with any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you are thinking he’ll be with ataxia symptoms for 2 weeks ?

I'm not sure as every patient is different. It will likely improve every few days until it resolves. It just takes a little bit of time for the body to build up tolerance the to the drug. Just like if we start a new medication and feel a little off for a few weeks.

Chelsea Schwarb
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have put me at ease .. thank you so much !

You're welcome. It sounds like you have all been through a lot recently. I'm happy to help. Seizures are very scary for a pet owner to witness. I hope you take comfort in knowing the actual seizure does not cause pain to your dog and they don't know they are having a seizure or remember it. Its worse for the one witnessing it. Good luck with him!

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb